Friday, August 12, 2011

Auto Auction

First things first:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARICOR!!!
My beautiful cousin celebrates another year young.
I hope today is all it should be and double! Love you!

--------

 As for today....

Here's the deal:

One of my responsibilities is staffing drivers for a local auto auction. I can't tell you which one or where, because that would be professionally irresponsible of me [ha. Seriously, though.] It's consistent day labor, for those of you staffing-saavy folk, and also a sword on which I honestly wouldn't mind falling every Thursday. Today, I took it one step further by doing the on-site check-in for the folk we had driving. It was, for lack of a better term, uniquely embarrassing.

If you've never been to an auto auction before, here's the generic run-down:
There's a lot full of cars and motorcycles, in this case typically anywhere between 500ish - 1500ish. There's a huge pole barn-esque building with multiple garage-sized drive-thru's that serves as a viewing ground for each vehicle. In order to bid, you must be a dealer. There's more, but for the sake of relevence, that's really all you need for now. My role for the party involves staffing people to drive those cars/bikes through the auction lanes. Oh, and it's usually either blazing hot or frigidly cold; there is rarely an enjoyable medium here. I don't know why. 
auto auction
If you've never seen an office girl at an auto auction before, here's how that goes, too:
[We'll use me as an example, because it's just that accurate] I get dressed for the professional environment that is my office job. Since the auction is just a stop before work, I don't really have time for wardrobe changes. The parking lot at the auction is gravel. High heels and gravel have never been friends. The general dress code for the general labor/lot tech staff at auctions is a watered-down version of what a construction worker would wear [they allow shorts & tank tops, but require tennis shoes]. Aside from that, they really aren't sticklers for much else. So there's that edge. The other side of it includes the folk running the show. Other than the lane leaders and crew managers, most of the office staff is comprised of women - women who wear logo polo's and khaki's to work. Women who look at me stumbling across the parking lot in heels and roll their eyes at the girl who, to them, looks like some dumped yuppie lost on her quest to find Rodeo Drive.

Awesome.

Needless to say, I'm definitely not a snobby person. I left today feeling like a common thoroughbred dressed up like a stallion at a county fair. It was such a backwards situation.

Thankfully, the rest of the day was well inside the realms of my comfort zone; I even managed to get laundry, dishes, and cleaning done before calling it a day.

Oh, and speaking of birthdays, tomorrow's Friday; Mom & Dad are coming to visit for the first time and to celebrate Dad's birthday.

Here's to a great weekend!

xo | cmd


No comments:

Post a Comment