Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Santa-Jesus Tree Ornament?

Okay, so I thought I would throw this one out there because I’m still honestly a bit unsure as to how I feel about it.
tree ornament...
I found this the other day, in an obscure and unlikely place: buried in a bag beneath a pile of yarn, fabric samples, and various crochet hooks and knitting needles. I was rifling through to ensure I had a specific color I’ve already promised to someone’s Christmas present, and I happened to pull this from the bottom.

Here’s what we’ve got: Santa Claus, baby Jesus, and a sheep.

I get the symbolism of it all, and for what it’s worth, I respect the artisan whose initiative led him/her to bring its design to fruition. If I interpret this in terms of saying that Santa Claus represents the material heartbeat of what Christmas has become culturally, then I absolutely appreciate this moment of reverence, or.. call it what you will.

On the other hand, I just don’t think the story went quite… that… way, if you get my drift. I don’t know if I feel it’s sacrilegious, but for the sake of preserving the inherently pure nature of the Christmas story, there are probably some better options. 

Like I said, I’m still somewhat at war with myself over this little ornament. Our tree went up tonight without much fuss, but I’m holding off on this addition… for now.

I wonder what else I’ll find this week…

Oh, and I turn 27 tomorrow. Scary.

xo | cmd

1 comment:

  1. Oh, if you still have this and wish to part with it I would LOVE to have it in my collection of "dumb things!".

    ReplyDelete