Friday, November 18, 2011

[Real Life] Care Bears

Let me preface this by saying that I have a 2-year-old daughter who I personally hold responsible for the childlike things of late. I don't think I need to explain to anyone how the presence of a child or children drastically alters a household's inventory; ours seems to be most dramatically affected by new additions to our DVD collection.

Among the characters that now sit on our bookshelf are the Care Bears. Remember those? I'm trying to meet halfway on the kiddie stuff here, although I realize it's probably going to take me outside of my zone. By that, I mean that I'm completely cool with stocking up on the cartoons we watched as kids, just because I was so fond of them. I'm beginning to coax myself on remaining objective with the newer cartoons and kid-friendly personalities. I already know I'm going to have my hands full, and I take comfort in the fact that I know I won't be alone; Joe and I can't possibly be the only two parents out there leary of the exposure that kids today will have to elements strange to even my generation. It's sad, but it's true.

I'm rabbit trailing.
Back on point: Care Bears.

Today, I interviewed a gentleman that reminded me of Grumpy Bear. We'll call him Teddy, both for privacy purposes and for ironic qualities [take a second, if you don't get that]. No, he wasn't furry and blue, but he sure did have a scowl tattooed on his face for the majority of the interview. Teddy's immediate vibe was sheer negativity, and afterwards, he left me behind in the office trying to recover from what was likely the most brutal interview I've ever done. I personally find it peculiar that a person lacking employment would be so openly pessimistic on an interview for employment, but apparently there is a whole new side of first impressions that are just waiting in the wings to attack a good morning. In any sense, Teddy didn't succeed in ruining my day, but it was an experience worth noting if for no other reason than to appreciate the more warming moments of my day. So, for all the Teddy's out there, even if that's you today, pick your chin up and relax your brow; it will get better. :)

+++
Lastly, on a note related only by association, I found something fun while I was searching for an image of the grumpy Care Bear:

Adult costumed Care Bears.
Now WHY on earth did we not think of this for the Run Like Hell back in October last year? Granted, we went as Pac Man, which, looking back now, I don't think I would've changed it. I guess what I'm saying here is that I'm thoroughly impressed by the effort of this group here and if/when my next costumed 5k surfaces, I'm dragging some friends down with me and we're heading to Care-A-Lot. If you don't know where that is, you'll have to look it up, because I'm gonna save face and pretend like I didn't just remember that from one of the movies we have at home.

Until tomorrow....

xo | cmd

No comments:

Post a Comment