... But I digress. That discussion is for another time.
| connected.... x3 |
I found myself at work this morning with my personal cell phone, the company cell phone, and one of the phones for an assignment on which I'm working for one of the local law firms. One dinosaur cell phone, two smart phones, a computer, and a landline all within arms reach of me made me stop and think about how people had handled the day-to-day transpiring activity before all of this techno gear was available. I myself grew up tailing the recent development of cell phones; I clearly remember that Nokia brick that I called my first cell phone. I also remember the first flip cell phone that had colored blinking lights. We thought that was pretty slick. And then came the Motorola Razr: that skinny thing that, at the time, re-defined the parameters of portable telephonic body shape. Granted that I'm still a few years shy of 30, I can yet say that there was a time in my growing-up that computers all around functioned off of dial-up internet. I did not have a cell phone when I was 12, let alone one that could also serve as a laptop, GPS, stereo, weather forecast, and tracker of everything from my daily caloric intake to how many days are left until the cataclysmic event known as the end of earth. It's ridiculous.
I'm being a hypocrite, I know. There is very little I would be able to accomplish on my job without the continuous, instant access to technology and an ability to stay connected to colleagues, clients, and employees. I find dinner recipes online to make for my family. I get directions from the TomTom in my car. My cell phone does in fact tell me what the weather looks like for the week if I were to consult it. Yadda, yadda, yadda.
I know that Joe and I aren't alone among the mass of parents in our generational bracket. We now have Sydni, and she'll grow up in a world that soon won't know what a landline even is. If we're not careful, she won't know how to socialize face to face because Twitter and Facebook will eliminate the need to do so. My prayer is that we can show her the value of technology and being connected to family and friends but that she'll realize that it's an aide, not a crutch.
Guess I should get to bed. Long day tomorrow....
xo | cmd
No comments:
Post a Comment