I find it particularly ironic that I was off work today, while my husband, who works for the government, was at his desk for a large portion of the day. Interesting.
I'm not complaining at all though; I had the entire day to spend with Sydni, which is a rare occurrence these days. It was a long overdue Mommy-Daughter day, and I soaked up every minute of it. We ran all kinds of errands to continue tying up all the ends for the wedding, and we even took on a project together. She pooped out on me halfway through it, which was okay, because spray paint and nails really aren't appropriate for toddlers.
Spray paint and nails?
Yup. Let's backtrack to a week or so back when Meagan planted the idea in my head of an idea she'd seen for a jewelry rack. It was perfect timing, since the current setup I have at home is apparently failing, miserably. For a long time, my system seemed flawless - I had one of those brushed chrome shower caddy things on a hook hanging over my closet door, from which I hung everything from necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and even clipped on any accessories that lacked hooks. What I didn't realize was that, because I'm constantly producing new pieces, that sucker got pretty heavy. About a week ago, Sydni flung the closet door shut and the whole operation came crashing down, breaking several pieces and creating a huge mess.
| step 1 [top left]: detach ugly picture from neat frame step 2 [top right]: attach leather thread & nails step 3 [bottom left]: spray paint and wait.... step 4 [bottom right]: hang! |
Long story short: this idea of Meagan's requires an empty picture frame with wire/ribbon/string across the center for hanging things, and some nails along the sides for additional space. I jumped all over that, and used it as a viable excuse to head to Goodwill. I don't ever need an excuse to go there, but it didn't hurt. I found the perfect frame, surely passed by because of the rustic artwork it held, and snagged it up for a whopping $3. My next stop was Hobby Lobby, where I grabbed some last minute bead needs and a can of textured spray paint for $7. I had nails at home, along with a great scrap roll of leather string, so the whole project cost $10 and took about an hour from start to finish.
| before & after |
I have to admit, it does look much better than the shower caddy, which still hangs in its old spot but is now home to a small variety of cords, cables, and camera accessories. It's still useful, but in moving jewelry over, I realized a few pieces had been hidden in the condensed clutter, so everyone wins with this one.
AND!
While I was waiting for the paint to dry on the frame, I went ahead and wrapped up something that's been on my creative to-do list for just over a week now. Diana had brought me an earring whose match she had somehow lost over time, and didn't want to wear the rest of the ensemble until every piece was in tune. I couldn't find the exact beads, but I did my best with what I had to re-create a similar idea.
While I was waiting for the paint to dry on the frame, I went ahead and wrapped up something that's been on my creative to-do list for just over a week now. Diana had brought me an earring whose match she had somehow lost over time, and didn't want to wear the rest of the ensemble until every piece was in tune. I couldn't find the exact beads, but I did my best with what I had to re-create a similar idea.
| original in the center, mine on the sides |
Doesn't look too bad, right? :)
So, by the time Joe got home, we had all kinds of things show him. He only laughs, because he's well aware of how nutty I get when it comes to making jewelry or taking on other miscellaneous projects.
This is going to be a short work week, and I am A-OKAY[!!] with that.
Happy Labor Day!
xo | cmd
No comments:
Post a Comment